|William Stewart Travel Awards
Established in 2002, the William Stewart Travel Awards provide grants of up to $500 to full-time assistant professors. The award is for presenting, chairing or moderating at a scholarly conference from July 1, 2017 to May 1, 2018.
Professor Stewart, a groundbreaking linguist who was on the faculty of the Graduate Center for more than 25 years, passed away in 2002, the year the Stewart Awards were initiated.
Previous award recipients who are otherwise eligible may apply but may get a lower award priority. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and early applications get special consideration.
People promoted to full-time Associate Professor rank can apply for our Associate Professor Travel Awards.
Applications must be sent via email and email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We may not be able to fund all submitted expenses. Payment of the awards will be done through college business offices during June 2018.
1. Applicants apply for the award either before or after they travel to the conference. Applications will not be accepted after April 30, 2018 or after we run out of funds, whichever comes first. First come, first served.
2. Applicants receive approval for the award from the CUNY Academy on a rolling basis for conferences that take place between July 1, 2017 and June 1, 2018.
3. Awardees provide the Academy with documentary evidence that they have presented, chaired or moderated at a scholarly conference from July 1, 2017 to June 1, 2018 by providing a copy of the conference program with the awardee’s name listed in his/her session.
4. On or about April 30, 2018, the CUNY Academy arranges for the transfer of award funds to the college business offices.
5. The Academy informs awardees that they may apply to their college business office for reimbursement.
6. Awardees take a completed NYS travel voucher to their college business office in order to receive reimbursement for their conference expenses. Awardees must submit original receipts for registration, transportation, and lodging related to the conference; there is no per diem, and food is not included. Not all expenses can be covered.
The Award is valid only for the conference stated in the application.
The application form can be downloaded at
Members of the Academy, excluding the Executive Director, serve as the Awards Committee.
CUNY Academy for the Humanities